Now enrolling for Level 2 and 3 Museum & Gallery Skills Course - September 2015
Start your Museum Career here this September 2015
We are delighted to open up our enrolment process to prospective students looking to enter the museum world.
Now in our fourth year of teaching Kendal Museum has become a pioneering teaching department under the management of Kendal College for an accredited museum. Delivering the Diploma and Certificate in Cultural Heritage Level 2 and 3, an occupational course based on good practise training in a working active museum.
About the courses:
The courses are aimed at those who want practical, hands on experience working with an accredited collection. This includes:
- Learning how to do clean, conserve and catalogue museum collections.
- Exhibition and display design, organisation and management.
- How to read and record the environment in museum galleries.
- How to research and write information panels.
- Learn how to give tours and engage with visitors.
- Work in outreach and education in the museum.
- Understand the role of marketing for events and assist staff with this area.
- Customer Service and understanding the importance of first impressions and the visitor experience.
- Skills in team working.
- Access to networking and volunteer / job opportunities in the wider North West Museum Sector.
- All this and more while being trained by experienced museum staff.
Students come away with essential experience and training and a nationally recognised qualification in museum competence. Students come to us from a wide background and age, some have never worked in a cultural / heritage setting before, some have volunteered for many years in the sector, and some already have academic qualifications but no appropriate occupational training. We welcome all ages and skills to the museum.
Our programmes are under the examining aegis of Ed excel and are, depending on the level, certificate at level 2 and diploma at level 3. Edi also offers these occupationally assessed courses. Both boards follow the same NVQ occupational style specifications.
Level 2 Diploma in Museum & Gallery Skills aimed at:
- Those who are interested in starting a career in museums who have little or no experience.
- Looking to enter the cultural / heritage sector or those looking for a change in career.
- This is open to students just out of school.
Level 3 Diploma in Museum & Gallery Skills aimed at:
- Those who have been employed in museums or have considerable volunteer experience.
- This is a significant commitment on a students part, however, it could be done while still working in your own museum job part time.
The next start date of the courses will be in September 2015. We highly recommend you apply early as we have a limited number of places on the course.
To register please follow the link to Kendal College to enrol.
For more information on the course please email Anna Hall the lead Tutor on the course.
- In About us
- History of the Museum
- The Collections
- Curator’s Choice
- Kendal and Westmorland Gallery
- World Wildlife Gallery
- Lake District Natural History Gallery
- The Hamer Collection
- The Bill Shaw Mineral Collection