Barbering, Level 3 Apprenticeship
Apprenticeships allow you to gain qualifications whilst working - you will normally study one day per week in college and spend the rest of the week at work, usually at least 30 hours per week. They are available at two levels, the Intermediate and the Advanced Apprenticeship.
This apprenticeship will equip you with the skills to provide a comprehensive suite of gents barbering services, including cutting, colouring, clippering, styling and general grooming, to either broaden the services of an existing hairdressing salon or in a gents’ barbers.
You will be encouraged to develop a professional attitude by working on your skills in communication/interpersonal skills, personal appearance and social behaviour. The apprenticeship will give you the opportunity to achieve nationally recognised qualifications whilst progressing your career in a hair or beauty salon and earning a wage.
If you are creative, like working with people and have lots of ambition, hairdressing could be your pathway to success. Never have there been so many exciting possibilities at the cutting edge of the fashion, style and grooming business.
Successful hairdressers can take their pick from many top jobs - working in top salons in the UK or on magazines or photoshoots in the fashion media. With UK hairdressing regarded as the best in the world, there is plenty of opportunity to use your skills internationally.
On this programme you will study various aspects of hairdressing which will include shampooing, conditioning, setting and blow-drying, cutting, perming and colouring. This is a vocationally based qualification. You will also be encouraged to develop your skills in communication, interpersonal skills, personal appearance and social behaviour. and work as part of a team.
Functional Skills will also form an integral part of your course. Students also get involved in hair and fashion shows and competition work.
What will I learn?
At level 3, NVQ Diploma, you will study the following four mandatory units:
- Provide shaving services
- Provide hairdressing consultation
- Creatively cut hair using a combination of barbering techniques
- Design and create a range of facial hair shapes
Plus optional units specific to your job role such as:
- Colour and lighten men’s hair
- Provide colour correction services
- Develop and enhance your creative hairdressing skills
How will I be assessed?
The majority of the qualification is completed through practical assessments. These can be college based as part of your timetable or completed in the work place with your assessor.
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the assessor where progress is discussed by the apprentice, assessor and employer.
Recognition of your qualifications by employers can lead to rapid career development in the workplace or progression on to higher levels of study.
At Level 3, you should have five GCSEs at grade A*-C, including English.
For the Advanced Apprenticeship you should have completed the Level 2 Apprenticeship or an equivalent qualification. Please speak to the course tutor for guidance.
This Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy industry has high client expectations and relies on repeat business so importance is given to:
- Appropriate personal presentation including clothing, hair and personal hygiene.
- Practical, organisational and social skills.
- Attention to detail and cleanliness.
- A good sense of humour/amicable nature and communication skills whether dealing face to face with clients or speaking on the telephone.
- Willingness to work flexible hours/days as agreed in the employment contract.
- A high degree of dexterity and coordination.
You must be employed for a minimum of 30 hours a week in the professional area that your Apprenticeship is in. Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
Training for apprentices is free for all ages. However, if you hold a full Level 4 qualification (or higher) you will not be eligible for apprenticeship funding. Alternative funding options may be available. Please call 01539 814713 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Apply for Barbering, Level 3 ApprenticeshipClick here to apply
Also in Hairdressing, Beauty & Integrated Therapies
- → Hairdressing, Level 2
- → Hairdressing, Level 3
- → Beauty Therapy, Level 2
- → Beauty Therapy, Level 3
- → Beauty Therapy, Level 3 Apprenticeship